We welcome the participation of professional archaeologists who meet the membership criteria listed below.
1. Membership on the Council is open to anyone who adheres to the Code of Conduct of the Register of Professional Archaeologists (RPA) and who meets the qualifications listed below under subsections 1(a) or 1(b):
(a) holds a master’s degree or higher in Anthropology, Archaeology, History, or other closely related discipline, with an emphasis in archaeology, and who can document one of the following:
- 12 weeks of supervised field training, at least half of which is excavation,
- 12 weeks of supervised practical training in a specialized sub-field such as zooarchaeology, archaeobotany, or museum studies affiliated with archaeological or anthropological collections
(b) is professionally employed as an archaeologist and can document one of the following:
- a minimum of one year of field experience, including 24 weeks of field work under the supervision of a professional archaeologist, at least half of which is excavation, and including at least 20 weeks of field work in a supervisory capacity, or
- a minimum of one year of practical experience in a specialized sub-field such as zooarchaeology, archaeobotany, or museum studies affiliated with archaeological or anthropological collections including 24 weeks under the supervision of a professional archaeologist or related professional (e.g. museum curator), and including at least 20 weeks in a supervisory capacity within the sub-field.
Membership is established by a majority vote of the membership committee. The applicant may appeal all decisions of the Membership Committee in writing to the Board of Directors. The majority decision of the Board of Directors shall be final, except that there shall be no limitations on the number of times application for membership may be submitted.
Membership in, or affiliation with, the Council shall be denied to any person who violated accepted standards of archaeological conduct by misusing archaeological materials or sites for commercial purposes or by failing to behave in a responsible manner with regard to the archaeological record. The Board of Directors may, by unanimous vote remove from membership roles any member who violates these said standards as set forth in Article II of the Articles of Incorporation or who otherwise makes improper use of membership on the Council.
Please read the above criteria carefully and include appropriate information (e.g., listing of field experience, degrees, names of three references) in your packet. Your vita alone may not cover important dates to show the necessary experience, so please be explicit. Please note: If all requested criteria are not provided your application will be returned.
The FAC membership committee will review your application packet and inform you of their decision or ask for additional information if needed to approve your membership request.
Please mail application form, cover letter, and requested information to:
Nicole Grinnan, FAC Membership Chair
Florida Public Archaeology Network at UWF
207 East Main Street
Pensacola, FL 32591-2486
Email: Nicole Grinnan